Time for Relationship With God

I'm not the best person at sitting still, I have to always be doing things. That can be a problen in itself as it means I might need to make a concerted effort to concentrate on God.

Facebook has been a somewhat long term distraction, I have uploaded photos, written updates on my mobile and computer  - it became my main tool of electronic communication outside of work. I started to feel like it was competing with time with God, with a simpler less distracted way of being. In fact I suppose it was competing with my well being. or, my well being as God would have it.

I came to the conclusion that anything that can compete with God's time, and potentially win, is probably best dropped.

And so, weeks before I am due to go out to South Africa with some people from my previous church and help out with a community church in Embo which does outreach work, I found myself announcing I was leaving Facebook. I left it a couple of days so I could have peoples' emails, but in reality I couldn't wait to leave. That which had eaten up hours and hours of time, was something I couldn't wait to leave behind. I am one day into my post Facebook world and I feel calmer and less distracted. I made apoint of reading the Bible, I enjoyed gardening in the sunshine this evening, happily thinking out to God whilst my cat played around. I prayed. I had a cup of tea. I blogged ( as you see here). I uploaded a few photos of my garden to a non Facebook photo sharing site. I will now finish my tea and make sure I say the Lord's Prayer before I go to bed.

In short I feel like I've escaped something, and that I've pulled myself out of something that wasn't doing me any good. The thing is you don't realise these things until afterwards. And, really it is God that makes you aware of them.

Father thankyou for your care of me, and thankyou that you are helping me find ways to focus on you.

xx

Comments

Popular Posts