There is nothing for me here you think and then God shows you something different

I thought of this passage most recently because of something that happened recently Acts 8:26-40.

It is the passage where Philip finds himself in a desert place and he must have wondered what he was doing there until God directed him to an Ethiopian who was converted by the encounter.

I had recently wondered the same thing. I was doing fine, like Church, like the people, like my job sort of, try and do my best each day, but I had wondered whether things have passed my by whether I am just seeing out my time - this slight nagging sadness and feeling that I was a little going through the motions and whether I should live nearer my parents to be there when they can't look after themselves. I suppose it could be consider a recoiling into ones shell ... my natural reaction to life but certainly not the best thing for me.

.. Recent prayer for me by a lady ( a facebook friend) revealed a need to let go of the things the world considered important or the measure of success  - as well as some more recent wisdom about becoming less self conscious in company and more conscious only of my Lord. But back to that wondering what is there for me here - things can seem like a desert I guess but then a bloom appears out of nowhere, that measure of God's grace and you see that he brings encounters and meetings that the circumstances or situation belies.

And so one morning this lady prayed for me. I didn't know, but as I was tidying up a hedge probably around the same time as the prayer between a neighbours house and mine, a lady with a wheelbarrow stopped and we started chatting, she owned a cat that kept visiting my garden and that my cat seemed to like ( grey long hair looking almost identical to a grey longhair she used to hang out with at my old house) and we talked about that, and then she popped around, then I offered to take her to one of my favourite garden nurseries for the morning.

Goodness it rained. On the way back it tuned out our pasts had a correlation, more of a correlation than would seem coinicidence and so it transpired I went to hers, had coffee and gave her my testimonial. She was, like I had been, a lapsed Catholic, and no longer went to Church. I invited her to dinner which she could not make but I also asked her if she wanted to come hear the Christmas choir at my church then I would happily take her.

I have left her to it a little and this is a watch this space but it is helped God in just the tiniest way to show His love for someone then it is a great privilege and shows me that where we are now is what God wants and nowhere is a desert even if it might seem that way at times.

Comments

Popular Posts