"Put On The Full Armour Of God"

This week I had a conversation with a friend ( not a Christian) about a story they are writing they are converting from some first hand notes given to him by someone he knew about a prisoner of war who walked away from his faith and got into a bit of an antagonistic relationship with a prison guard using a piece of chipboard as 'armour' to protect him from the blows of his antagonist. He returned back to God.

We got talking about it, and about the armour of God and how our armour is insufficient to protect us from the our antagonists. I found the chapter in Ephesians 6, and we talked about Job and all these things about doing things your own way ..

And so after dinner an hour or so later, I sat down and put the TBNUK television channel on and what do you know, it was all about Ephesians 6 and putting on the full armour of God. I had been having very antagonistic feelings about my job in the last two days and wanting to leave and feeling pretty frustrated with things and I fear not standing firm at all. The program was about standing firm and not running away or going on the attack and that is enough. Here is a copy of my notes to my friend:

"about the purpose of standing your ground when you are attacked but with the armour of God, and that the righteousness is not your righteousness but righteousness of Christ. The idea being you should not fall, run away or even go on the attack but trust in God and stand your ground and that in itself is progress.

Also there is mention of Jehoshaphat who faced a big army and was told that he would not need to fight the battle because the fight was God's, and so they worshipped and praised and the army was defeated."


... God can instruct many people at the same time. In this case I needed to know because I was struggling and it helped my friend to make sense of the journey they are on too.


Ephesians 6: 10-18

Comments

  1. This is a very interesting topic.

    I feel that antagonists are a constant and unavoidable presence in nature. To wear one's own armor is a last resort, a form of panic in the face of a punishment.
    The armor of God is from an entirely different place, stronger than any manmade fabric. It is a way of life that has resulted in countless victories, always triumphant.

    Having said this, chipboard (pasteboard?) was probably better than nothing. I guess that the two men were evenly matched and that one attempted to cheat with the armor. Unless he expected to lose?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts