Being Loved And Welcomed As One of The Family

I am very blessed to be part of a church where I feel very wanted.

It makes a huge difference when people make you feel welcome, extend out their arms and show love to you in a way that you might think would be reserved to your immediate and extended family. But here I have been made to feel welcome and have seen how God blesses you through the kindnesses of others.

Today was one such occasion. I had not managed to spend a particularly long time at my parents because I had a cat to feed so I stayed Christmas Day and a bit of Boxing day and drive back home. I sort of missed being able to spend longer with them. I also have inspite of my general happiness and gratitude for my life and my blessings, a sort of stoic we will manage attitude but I suppose if I am honest with myself I wish I was living in a household with a family. Living and working from home has been great but there are times when wistfulness comes to the surface and then of course you just get on with it and be htankful for what you do have.

But today, I was asked to spend lunch with a family. A friend of mine from choir, whose wife invited me home to theirs and their other two daughters ( the oldest one's husband) and they made me feel part of their family and were in no rush to see me go. I had Sunday lunch with them ( bubble and squeak and cold meats and cheescake), saw travel photos, learnt a bit about how the church organ works, saw pictures from various holidays and laughed and chatted, listened to music and came away with Christmas cake and turkey. I was also leant a keyboard to tide me over until I get a pino.

None of this does my afternoon with them justice. I hadn't really realised how much being part of a family was important to me until I was sent that blessing, and I drove home feeling so grateful and humbled and witha few tears. I was touched by peoples' kindness and love toward me and for just being made to feel like a welcome part of their family for a little while.

And so it was a welcome gift and one that I needed  - and yet I had no way of fulfilling that need through myself.

And yet God, who is the giver of good things, saw the need in my heart and worked through others to gift me a lovely time that you cannot put any kind of price on.

Thank you Father that I felt so loved today.


Comments

Popular Posts