Don't Think Of Pink Elephants!!! Or, How to trust God to Heal Your Anxiety...

It is an unfortunate feature of over-anxious thinking or OCD that you are inclined to repetitively think about the stuff you least want to think about!!!!

In fact, I read somewhere on the internet that it's like saying to someone "Don't think of pink elephants, whatever you do"... The human response, can be that you start thinking of pink elephants! Hopefully you are able to reassure yourself that this is just a human reaction and underplay its significance. When you suffer from over anxious thinking though, you panic so much that you have even thought about pink elephants,that you mind responds by thinking about them even more!

Add low self esteem to the equation and you end up punishing yourself for these thoughts, and those thoughts end up becoming a source of anxiety that can prevent you from being at ease in social situations. Really the whole pink elephant thing  by means of an harmless example, but repetitive thinking starts to become a real hindrance in your relationships with other people, whilst you constantly check yourself for things you have said, criticise yourself repeatedly so exacerbating your low self esteem and in a nutshell this can become an handicap to leading a normal life.


So this was someting that always used to affect me greatly, sometimes it could paralyse me socially from really being there with people. However as soon as turned back to God, I really had to hand over my trust in His Love for me to manage and heal this affliction. The reason I had to do this was because as I began reading the Bible I starte to re-familiarise myself with the moral code of Christianity,  the Ten Commandments and many other Do's and Dont's besides that help instruct on leading a better life but which for me started to have that unfortunate "Pink Elephant" effect on my thoughts. Read about the rule about not blaspheming about God and immediately you panic and think I must not think about blaspheming about God otherwise I will be beyond redemption and there is no hope. Of course, beacuse you start panicking about blaspheming you start thinking about it and then because you even thought about it, you fear you are going to Hell and there really is no hope for you!

Such panic can hinder you from experiencing and accepting Jesus' Love and Compassion towards you. When you accept, your relationship can grow and He can help.

So I want to reassure you that there is a way out of anxiety... That way is God's Love. It is the True Way. Jesus Christ understands you better than you know yourself and He knows that what you have is anxiety and He is your friend, and so this is an example of what you can say to Him...


"Jesus, I have this problem, whereby I panic so much about thinking about pink elephants that I start thinking about them, and then I panic that I have thought about them, and I end up thinking about pink elephants even more and then I spend all my time praying to you and Mary Mother of God to apologise for being so unforgivable. I will need You help because I love you very much and I trust you as my Friend, and Husband and Father to help me with my tendency to panic".

As you start to do this, God helps you and supports you. He doesn't want people to suffer like this, he wants you to trust Him so that you can have an open, transparent and loving relationship with Him and because He wants to accompany you on your journey through life, and for you to be free so that you can tell people about how solid, true and unwavering your life becomes when you allow Him into your life and trust Him with your worries...

I want to tell you this because that is how I used to think, only a few months ago, and now, I don't.

Abba Father, Biggest Daddy in the Universe, I love how You strengthen me and have rescued me from my past.

All my love, Your daughter Louise xx

Comments

Popular Posts