The Story of How to Catch a Mouse with Baquetas Or Coming into Agreement with God

Today I am a bit tired but it is for good reason. My cat is good at catchng wildlife, mainly baby mice which she brings back into the house, dead, injured or alive in the middle of the night or in the wee hours of the morning.. this usually then entails me with a lunchbox and her trying to find the mouse first, not always succeeding and me trying to find a way of separating her from said catch so I can have a decent night's sleep, rather than listening to my cat enthusiastically thumping about all night...

This time it was about 3ish and I knew as soon as I could hear enthusiastic thumping that she had brought in something into my bedroom which was hugely disconcerting. Try as I might I could not find the mouse, I had asked God to help me, as it had seemed to disappear and I was concerned some little furball was somewhere in my bedroom, would die through lack of food or fright and would smell really bad under my floorboards as it passed away into whatever God provisions for His mice somewhere... :o/

I slept badly.

That morning the cat had started enthusiastically smiffing around the front bedroom, and bingo she had found the mouse underneath some furniture. Lunchbox in hand, to trap it, I started moving furniture around to try and find it, mice are quick they dart about and tried to pull it out so I could trap if before the cat did - I used a lunchbox lid and some baquetas*, saying to God, if you can let me get at this mouse and set it free I will dedicate Wednesday to you, prayer, contemplation of you, study etc...

No joy... the mouse was a frightened little thing...

I changed my stance... "Ok God, I will dedicate Wednesday to you anyway, but would you mind helping me with this mouse...? ..

Within a very short space of saying that, I had said mouse caught between two baquetas like chopsticks and picked it up with my finger and thumb and set it free...

"Father help me make the most of my time with you tomorrow, help me not be afraid of anything you might have to say to me, help make my heart open to you... "

I had initially asked for help in the wrong way I think, I had tried to make a deal, and that is not how it is done, you have to dedicate to God without any expectation, He comes first regardless of how much you might need His help.

In my case my problem was mouse sized and not significant, but it still showed me that my that my thinking needed adjusting a little...

* A baqueta is used to strike a berimbau in capoeira ( capoeira music) see here

Comments

Popular Posts